A Grade II* listed building near Westminster Bridge, it used to be the headquarters of the London and Greater London Councils. Built of Portland stone in an Edwardian Baroque style its construction began in 1911 and it was opened by George V in 1922. After 1986 it ceased its council function and the building was sold – it now houses several businesses including the Sea Life London Aquarium and two hotels.
Posts Tagged With: Throwback Thursday
A Grade II* building The Tower was built in 1908 as an office block; it was converted to apartments in 2006. The architect was W. Aubrey Thomas, the same man that designed the Royal Liver Building.Continue reading
Unveiled in 2007 this statue, made of Portland stone, is of Sir Hans Sloane, a doctor, naturalist and collector who left his collection of 71,000 items to the nation. These were the beginnings of the British Museum and the Natural History Museum.
Designed by Thomas Rickman in the Gothic Revival style the Ramshorn was originally St David’s Parish Church and dates from 1824. It is now owned by the University of Strathclyde and houses Scotland’s National Centre for Languages and the Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools.
The Flying Horse is a Grade II* listed building that is the last remaining pub on Oxford Street. A red brick building with stone dressing in the Flemish Renaissance style it dates from around the end of the 19th century, redeveloped on the site of an earlier pub.
Part of an ongoing series, these two doors are from the Rembrandt House Museum, the house where Rembrandt lived between 1639 and 1656 and so would have been used by the painter himself.Continue reading
This very impressive Queen Anne building on Oxford Street is the former Waring and Gillow building. Waring and Gillow were furniture makers; founded in the 1730s in Lancaster by Robert Gillow his eponymous company merged with the Waring Company of Liverpool in 1897.Continue reading
The school was first endowed in 1645 as a free school for the children of the poor. A school was actually built about 1709 elsewhere but they moved to the current building next to St Mary Abbots Church around 1860.Continue reading
The Vestry Hall, Vicarage and National Schools in St Martin’s Place were built around 1830. The inscription around the roof reads “St Martin’s National Schools. Built by Subscription on Ground the Gift of His Majesty King George IV. MDCCCXXX”. The land was gifted for a school to educate the poor children of the parish.Continue reading
Berwick House on Oxford Street dates from around 1886 and has a rather interesting spire and pillars along the front.Continue reading