Thomas More, advisor to Henry VIII who would eventually have him beheaded at the Tower of London, moved to Chelsea in around 1520. The house he built there no longer exists but the statue is near Chelsea Old Church where he regularly worshipped.
Designed by Leslie Cubitt Bevis in 1969 it is made of bronze with gilded face and hands. He’s wearing the crucifix he wore to his death and a gold collar decorated with a Tudor rose, based on one Henry VIII gave him. The signature was taken and enlarged from one of his documents.