MOSTYN Art Gallery – the building on the right in the below picture – is a contemporary art gallery in Llandudno, Wales. The history of the gallery begins in 1895 in Conwy with the Gwynedd Ladies’ Art Society. They asked the philanthropist and photographer Lady Augusta Mostyn to secure new premises for them and this building became the home of the society from 1901 to 1903. Women were not permitted in the male artist’s societies so this is possibly the first art gallery dedicated to exclusively exhibiting work by female artists in the world. Interestingly that wasn’t the original intention of Lady Augusta who wanted it to be a space for local people to use (many of the Society members were actually based elsewhere in the UK) and eventually the Society was asked to leave.Continue reading
Inspired by The Red Phone Box Travels posts about doors, here are some interesting doors found around Llandudno in Wales. The first picture is of a side door to Gloddaeth Church which has some pretty stained glass windows.Continue reading
Originally a gas lamp, which was invented from around 1807, a lamplighter would have rested his ladder against the specially constructed set of horizontal bars, as they lit the flame at dusk and then again in the morning as they extinguished it.Continue reading
Some of the first post boxes in the UK, dating from around 1866, were hexagonal in shape, like this one by the promenade in Llandudno with a cap that is decorated with acanthus leaves and which was designed by J W Penfold.Continue reading
The Llandudno War Memorial commemorates those who died in both World Wars. It’s a large obelisk with a golden ball at the top that was first unveiled in 1922. It was designed by Sidney Colwyn Foulkes.
Bodlondeb Castle in Llandudno was built as a house in the 1890s for Thomas P Davies. Davies, who was the manager of the local St George’s Hotel, had been commissioned by a rich guest staying at the hotel who wished to remain anonymous to build the castle. However, once he returned after the building had been completed and realised that it didn’t come with a big enough plot of land he declared he was no longer interested and left, leaving Davies with a huge building to try and get rid of. It was unsurprisingly known locally thereafter as Davies’ Folly.Continue reading
Llandudno’s West Shore beach is renowned for being quieter than the North Shore and we certainly found that to be true on our visit.
Whilst visiting Llandudno and travelling along the Great Orme Tramway we got off at the Half Way Station and walked round to the Great Orme Bronze Age Copper Mines. They were first discovered in 1987 and are thought to be the largest prehistoric mines in the world.
The Great Orme Tramway opened on 31st July 1902 and is now Britain’s only cable-hauled public road tramway. It takes you from Llandudno up to the Summit of the Great Orme Country Park, covering a distance of about a mile.