The Vestry Hall, Vicarage and National Schools in St Martin’s Place were built around 1830. The inscription around the roof reads “St Martin’s National Schools. Built by Subscription on Ground the Gift of His Majesty King George IV. MDCCCXXX”. The land was gifted for a school to educate the poor children of the parish.
In 1841 the school expanded to the top floor of the Vestry Hall which was converted into school rooms.