The Royal Exchange building in London was founded in the 16th century by Sir Thomas Gresham as a centre of commerce. Twice it was destroyed by fire – the present building was designed by Sir William Tite in the 1840s. These days it houses various shops, cafes and restaurants.
The East wall of the building has some interesting sculptures including that of Richard “Dick” Whittington who really was Lord Mayor of London in the 15th century. This statue was created around 1844 and is by John Carew.