Bodlondeb Castle in Llandudno was built as a house in the 1890s for Thomas P Davies. Davies, who was the manager of the local St George’s Hotel, had been commissioned by a rich guest staying at the hotel who wished to remain anonymous to build the castle. However, once he returned after the building had been completed and realised that it didn’t come with a big enough plot of land he declared he was no longer interested and left, leaving Davies with a huge building to try and get rid of. It was unsurprisingly known locally thereafter as Davies’ Folly.
The property remained in the Davies family until 1931 when it was sold to a Methodist group who opened it as a hotel.
In 2005 it was purchased by a housing development company who apparently have done a very careful restoration of the interiors and turned them into luxury apartments.