Derby Cathedral, or the Cathedral of All Saints, became a cathedral in 1927 with much of the current building dating from around 1725 and having been designed by James Gibbs, who also designed St Martin-in-the-Fields. There has been a church on the site however dating back to around 943.
When we visited part of the building was covered in scaffolding so that marred the photography a bit, however the tower was very imposing; at 212 feet high it is the second tallest in the UK, the tallest being at Lincoln Cathedral.
The interior was very bright and airy, with its white and gold neoclassical design which was completed in 1725.
There are only two stained glass windows in the building, the rest being clear. They were installed in 1965 and designed by Ceri Richards and are certainly a bright addition.
The most impressive section of the cathedral though is the monument to Bess of Hardwick, owner of Hardwick Hall. Bess was buried there in 1608 when it was the medieval church. Bess had the monument designed and made before her death.
Many other members of the Cavendish family, up to fifty of them, were buried here including Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire in 1806.
The wrought iron screens seen below were designed by a Derby iron-smith Robert Bakewell and probably finished around 1730. The Royal Arms on the top are those of George II.
Well worth popping into, you can find more photos here.