Treasurer’s House in York is a National Trust property in the shadow of York Minster. The treasurer was controller of the Minster’s finances and entertained important guests until 1547 when the job of treasurer came to an end. The current building’s design is due to the work of Thomas Young, Archbishop of York between 1561 and 1568 who almost entirely rebuilt the house.
It was in 1897 however that Frank Green, a wealthy industrialist, bought the property and built up a large collection of antiques and artwork. This was in fact the first house to be given to the National Trust together with its collection.
There are 13 period rooms in the house including the Blue Drawing Room, the most impressive of the rooms in the house which Green designed based on the Palace of Versailles, filling it with furniture that is covered in gold.
One of the striking oddments of the house is these sphinxes holding up the table in Princess Victoria’s room, named after the second daughter of Edward VII who stayed at the house with her parents in 1900.
The Hall also stands out as Frank Green remodelled it to create a medieval great hall although much of it actually dates from the 16th and 17th centuries.
Outside the garden, which is free to enter, is a very nice calm space with statues and a water feature.
Definitely worth a visit, especially when combined with York Minster next door you can find more photos here.